Register for Co–Parenting: Making It Work by contacting the Mediation Center of Charlottesville at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 434.977.2926
NOW AVAILABLE LIVE ONLINE
Co–Parenting: Making It Work is a four-hour educational program for anyone serving as a parental figure. In most cases, co-parenting refers to raising children in separate homes because the parents have separated or divorced, and, while no longer living together, they continue to be involved in parenting their children. Co-parenting can also involve grandparents or other persons who have assumed parenting responsibilities.
The Co-Parenting class is conducted by experienced family mediators certified by the Supreme Court of Virginia. The curriculum has been approved by the Court, and attendance is mandated for parties to any petition where a child’s custody, visitation, or support is contested. The class focuses on:
- The effects of the end of the adults’ relationship on their own emotions and ability to parent effectively
- Techniques to manage anger, reduce conflict, and communicate with the former partner to achieve results that are in the best interests of the children
- Making parents aware of the effects of separation/divorce on children, and how to respond to their children’s behaviors
- How to provide guidance and discipline in a positive manner, and build children’s self-esteem
- Parental responsibilities
- MCC is offering this class online at this time, using the Zoom platform.
- Because each class covers 4 hours of material, we are offering them in two 2-hour sessions for convenience and to minimize screen fatigue.
- February: Part 1 is Tue., Feb. 2, and Part 2 is Tue., Feb. 9, both at 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- March: Part 1 is Sat., Mar. 6, and Part 2 is Sat., Mar. 13, both at 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- April: Part 1 is Tue., Apr. 6, and Part 2 is Tue., Apr. 13, both at 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- May: Part 1 is Sat., May 8, and Part 2 is Sat., May 15, both at 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- June: Part 1 is Tue. June 8, and Part 2 is Tue., June 15, both at 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- You need to enroll in and attend both Part 1 and Part 2 to complete the course and receive a certificate.
- Former partners do not usually attend the same session.
- See sidebar at left for Registration and Payment Information.
People who have attended the class have said:
“Great class! All parents should take it. “Very informative!”
“The video is illuminating; what they said made so much sense.”
“This class is well worth the fee!”
“Thanks for the help in seeing other ways to take action.”
“Everything was well-presented, and the manual is great.”
“The two instructors make a great team.”
“The manual and video were both terrific.”
“I learned a great deal.”
“It helped me consider if my actions are hurting or helping my children.”
“Great class! Job well done!”
Call for directions to the Co-Parenting: Making It Work class location.